Thinking Outside The Box
We all hit brick walls when researching our family trees and when this happens we need to start thinking outside the box!
The person we are looking for has disappeared from the census records and electoral rolls but the rest of the family are still where you expect them. We cannot find a death or an obituary or a burial what do we do next?
- Check immigration records
- Check newspapers archives
- Check military records
- Misspelt names especially if a commercial traveller boarding on the road or a servant Workhouse records
- Google is your friend
- Other countries records e.g. Australia had an assisted passenger programme where the immigration records may not be online or survived or only available on their website.
- If a child, some orphans and children of the poor were transported to other countries under the Home Children scheme for what was supposed to be a better life however in many cases this was not the reality!
- Check the original document in case the person has been missed off the transcription.